Monday, August 29, 2011

Homemade Caramel Apples

Today the girls were telling me that they have never had a caramel apple before. This shocked me! I love caramel apples and I believe that no one should be deprived of this great invention. I also needed a time filler so we made them. Now this was a first for me, but I knew how hard it would be to make caramel. The caramel ended up tasting great but was having a difficult time hardening. I really want to try this again with a bigger pot so I can get the heat just right. But the girls were happy with the apples and I thought it tasted great!

What you will need:
8 apples
1 cup heavy cream
3.4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Candy thermometer

Add butter, corn syrup. heavy cream- 3/4 cup ( save the other 1/4 cup for later), and sugar
cook on high heat until temperature reaches 280 degrees F. ( You will need a thermometer for this) The caramel should harden a bit and at this point add the vanilla and the rest of the heavy cream.
Stick the apples and put on wax paper

dip the apples in caramel and let sit to dry
Final product

No comments:

Post a Comment